Friday, April 29, 2005

Let's get loud

Nooo... I'm not talking about Mrs Anthony's song, theme song for TV3 SureKepoh Carnival.. ehh.. SureHeboh.. But...

What does literature means to you?

How does it affect you in day-to-day life? Do you indulge? Or it simply makes no difference to you?

I have always prefer reading novels in English. No, am not trying to sound snobbish, just a fact. Oh, I read Hikayat Malim Dewa and Hikayat Malim Deman when I was in secondary school (They are father and son, by the way). Also Hikayat Hang Tuah. Suffice to say, I just love reading. And I DID read one or two Ahadiat Akashah's during those times (teenage reading). But I stopped reading novels in Malay long time ago. Now, seriously.

As far as I can remember, my first author was Enid Blyton. (I didn't know few years after that we have Malay translations.) Those days, I read because I wanted to improve my English. At least that's what my parents told me. So being the obedient little daughter that I was, I read. Anything I could get my hands on. Cinderella, Thumbelina, Aesop's Fables, Charles Dicken's David Copperfield (I admit when I first started to read it, I thought it's the story of that famous handsome magician.. mmm.. yummy...). Hmm.. now I remember, I read Badai Semalam by Khadijah Hashim. That was when I still in primary school. The book as I recall was my aunt's. She took Malay Lit. When kids those time rushed to toy shop for dolls and mock kitchen set or make-up kit, I on the other hand, pulled my abah to Times Bookshop. So... abnormal (no wonder I'm weird these days).

I can be alone for hours and just curl up to a good book. Reading is a passion for me. Not just a hobby. I admit, I can't recite Shakespeare or name famous found authors (I did not say anything about taking English Lit, did I?). I just read.

So the question why not read in Malay? Well, I read Malim Deman and Hang Tuah, did I? Oh.. You mean now... Hmm.. Well.. Seriously, I am not aware the state of modern Malay literature. But I have never been attracted to read any of it. (Sorry!!) I'm not applying double-standard. Blame it on my being ignorant.

I guess, it's the DEPTH of the novel that attracted me most. Nora Roberts might be writing romance, but she researched for her books, making the story that she writes more than just love-dovey stuff. Sidney Sheldon, John Grisham to name a couple of authors. And my current pleasure, Dan Brown. Ohh.. not to forget Christine Feehan. She writes paranormal stuff. So, I'm a sucker for love stories, but I read love stories with brains. Muahaha...

Having said that, I'm sure the future for modern Malay literature is bright. I gotta thank En Nizam for reigniting the pleasure of reading in Malay(wink wink). Hmm.. take a look at Gurisan Intaglio. It's another one of my favourites. Latest, Puisi-Relay (psst!! this is niceeeeee!). Also checkout Neohikayat. toonjade is something that my soul-sis and I are working on. We're amatuers. Still trying.I'm positive that beautiful pieces come out naturally and comes from the heart, not so much the gray matter.

So, what does literature means to you?

3 Comments:

Blogger Kak Teh said...

LadyJade, i will be at the Traditional malay lit. seminar this evening in exeter...oh, i can certainly bore you to tears abt it. Want to know abt bidasari and indraputra? phew! I can readthem again and again! see you when i come back on Sunday or earlier if i can get myself to an internet cafe!

April 29, 2005 6:39 PM  
Blogger Hajar said...

Kak Teh, I have soft spots for arts. Also for traditional Malay lit. I may not know much about it, but I sincerely doubt u'll ever bore me.. ;-)

May 01, 2005 9:03 PM  
Blogger Kak Teh said...

a very inspiring weekend I had, surrounded experts talking abt our syairs ands hikayats...still a lot to learn from them!

May 02, 2005 1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home