Monday, August 22, 2005

Merdeka?

What does "MERDEKA" means to you?

This question is being asked year after year after year, everytime 31st August nears. So far, I haven't heard the most satisfying answer. Well, granted it means differently from one to another, so who am I to say there is only one answer. BUT, most of the times, they don't look convincing enough when they answer the question, as if they do not believe in what they are saying.

I, for one, cannot answer this in a manner that I myself would feel satisfied with it. To me, there are too many angles and curves and poles to look at to answer the question. It involves everything and revolves around everything. Probably because I never find anything is as simple as it sounds. And I want to give an answer that shows my love to tanah tumpah darahku. (God knows how much of my blood has graced the land, everytime I fell down from my bicycle when I was small or while running around the field playing rounders. I have scars to prove it!!)

But these school children (God, I feel old!), they came out with something that comes straight from their hearts. Take a look at this: http://www.snecx.com/web/ertimerdeka/index.html.

It's just brilliant. I think they yet to update it with the latest info especially on the Prime Minister part. But that's okay, they are school children with big hearts. Hopefully they continue to flourish, and the spirit lives longer.

National Day is a day when you remember the pain, the blood, the tears and sweat of our forefathers and ancestors. It's a day to respect their parts in making out beloved country to what it is today. We are blessed with peace and harmony. Little disputes that happen among siblings are just facts of life. We are blessed in everyway. We should preserve this and make sure we continue to stay the same. We should grow, bigger and stronger, but we must always remember to grow wiser. National Day is a day for us to remember that we age. And with age there should be wisdom. We should age wisely. National Day is a day for us to remember our roots, where we come from and where we want to go tomorrow. MERDEKA should be said out loud with conviction and realisation that we do not want to be taken over in anyway. Mentally. Physically. MERDEKA means we are free from the clutches, from the hold that put us back, from being who we really are.. So, shout MERDEKA proudly, say it out loud, because we know we are unique, and we shall not be taken over in any way. We shall be true, to ourselves, our religions, our nation. We shall be MALAYSIANS. And proud of it.

So instead of asking what MERDEKA means, lets ask ourselves, what 31st August really means to us.


(picture courtesy of http://www.flags.net/)

2 Comments:

Blogger lilheaven said...

wah..wah... dah mula countdown ya sis. semoga Tuhan terus mengurniakan rahmat dan bahgia to our country.

August 22, 2005 3:42 PM  
Blogger D.N.A.S said...

This year Merdeka hari Rabu.... yeah!
cuti in the middle of the week, bestnyeeeee...

August 23, 2005 9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home