Review: Memoirs of a Geisha the movie
To quote Michelle Yeoh; "It's the talent that counts, not the nationality".I have to say that I agree with that sentiment. Granted that the actresses do not have the Japanese look, nor did the make-up artists try to make them look like one. And I applaud that.
I read this book long before they decided to make it to a movie. And I must say I enjoyed reading it. But then again, I practically read everything. So, I'm being bias.
The movie. Hmm... The moment the story started to roll, you forget that the actresses were not Japanese. You forgot that this is a book-to-movie version. You forget your being sceptic on how an excellent best seller can be turned into a good movie. I'm not a pro movie critic, nor am I a pro book reviewer. But I must say the director managed to capture the essence of the book and turn it into a believable screenplay. Truth be told, I don't really care who the director is, who the actors or actresses are. My only concern is that the movie is... watchable. That is why, I never keep track on the directors, we tend to judge differently when we recognise the puppet master.
When I read a book, I tend to visualise how the scenery would be, the facial expression. Yes, I am so into the book that I'm reading. Once I start to read, I'm lost into that world, and I only come out if I feel exhausted. :-P When I watch the movie, my imagination came to life. The actors with their talents managed to convey the emotions that ran rampant throughout the story.
It's a good movie. Go and watch it. Push aside your sceptism because of the nationality. Seriously, it takes lower priority than their talents.

1 Comments:
Hi Jade,
The book is good but movie ....really suck.....bad vocal to understand especially when that main sexy actress speaks english with her own slang. I feel better make this movie in mandarin with english subtitles.
Mr. J
Post a Comment
<< Home